Hydroxymethylbutyrate (HMB) is a chemical that is produced when the body breaks down leucine. Leucine is an amino acid, one of the building blocks of protein. People use HMB to make medicine.
HMB is most commonly used for building muscle or preventing muscle loss.
- Athletic performance. Login for details
- Cachexia. Login for details
- Diabetic foot ulcers. Login for details
- Exercise-induced muscle damage. Login for details
- Exercise-induced muscle soreness. Login for details
- HIV/AIDS-related wasting. Login for details
- Hypercholesterolemia. Login for details
- Hypertension. Login for details
- Muscle strength. Login for details
- Obesity. Login for details
- Oral mucositis. Login for details
- Postoperative recovery. Login for details
- Radiation dermatitis. Login for details
- Renal failure. Login for details
HMB might promote muscle growth. It seems to reduce the destructive breakdown of muscle in people with AIDS.
When taken by mouth HMB is POSSIBLY SAFE for most people when taken by mouth. Doses of 3 grams per day or less for up to one year seem to be safe.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There isn't enough reliable information to know if HMB is safe to use when pregnant or breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
There are no known interactions with medications. Before taking this product, talk with your health professional if you take any medications.
There are no known interactions with herbs and supplements.
There are no known interactions with foods.
The following doses have been studied in scientific research:
- For involuntary weight loss in people with HIV/AIDS: 3 grams HMB in combination with 14 grams each of arginine and glutamine in two divided doses daily.
- For age-related muscle loss (sarcopenia): 220 mL of a specific liquid nutritional supplementation (Ensure Plus Advance, Abbott) twice daily.
Beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate, B-Hydroxy B-Methylbutyrate Monohydreate, Beta-Hydroxy-Beta-Methylbutyric Acid, Calcium B-Hydroxy B-Methylbutyrate Monohydrate, Calcium HMB, Hidroximetilbutirato, HMB, HMB de Calcium, Hydroxyméthylbutyrate, Hydroxymethyl Butyrate, Hydroxyméthyl Butyrate.
Natural Medicines disclaims any responsibility related to medical consequences of using any medical product. Effort is made to ensure that the information contained in this monograph is accurate at the time it was published. Consumers and medical professionals who consult this monograph are cautioned that any medical or product related decision is the sole responsibility of the consumer and/or the health care professional. A legal License Agreement sets limitations on downloading, storing, or printing content from this Database. Except for any possible exceptions written into your License Agreement, no reproduction of this monograph or any content from this Database is permitted without written permission from the publisher. Unlawful to download, store, or distribute content from this site.
For the latest comprehensive data on this and every other natural medicine, health professionals should consult the Professional Version of the Natural Medicines. It is fully referenced and updated daily.
© Copyright 1995-2021. Therapeutic Research Faculty, publishers of Natural Medicines, Prescriber's Letter, and Pharmacist's Letter. All rights reserved.