Osteopathic manipulation is a physical treatment that is provided by some practitioners of osteopathic medicine. Osteopathic medicine is a complete system of medicine that uses a wide variety of methods for diagnosing and treating all types of medical conditions.
In the US, osteopathic physicians (Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine, DO) are licensed physicians who are similar to physicians with the Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree. Both Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine and Doctors of Medicine use the same diagnostic procedures and treatments. In addition to these approaches, osteopathic physicians are also trained to use manipulative techniques, such as spinal adjustments.
- Attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Login for details
- Autism spectrum disorder. Login for details
- Asthma. Login for details
- Coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery. Login for details
- Carpal tunnel syndrome. Login for details
- Crohn disease. Login for details
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Login for details
- Colic. Login for details
- Cystic fibrosis. Login for details
- Depression. Login for details
- Fibromyalgia. Login for details
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). Login for details
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Login for details
- Migraine headache. Login for details
- Neck pain. Login for details
- Pneumonia. Login for details
- Postoperative pain. Login for details
- Postoperative recovery. Login for details
- Prematurity. Login for details
- Spinal cord injury. Login for details
- Sprains. Login for details
- Temporomandibular disorders (TMD). Login for details
- Tendinopathy. Login for details
- Tension headache. Login for details
- Vertigo. Login for details
Osteopathic manipulation is a physical medicine performed by osteopathic physicians. Like chiropractors, doctors of osteopathic medicine believe that problems with the muscles and bones (musculoskeletal system) can result in illness. So some osteopathic physicians use specific spinal manipulations for some conditions, especially back pain or neck pain. Osteopathic physicians also use conventional treatments such as medication, psychiatry, surgery, etc.
Osteopathic manipulation is POSSIBLY SAFE when it is used appropriately by a trained professional for a short time. Studies show that osteopathic manipulation does not seem to cause serious side effects.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Osteopathic manipulation is POSSIBLY SAFE when given appropriately by a trained professional and for a short time.
Children: Osteopathic manipulation is POSSIBLY SAFE when given appropriately by a trained professional and for a short time.
There are no known interactions with medications. Before taking this product, talk with your health professional if you take any medications.
There are no known interactions with herbs and supplements.
There are no known interactions with foods.
The appropriate or safe use of osteopathic medicine depends on several factors such as the condition being treated or the person administering the treatment. Be sure to seek and follow relevant directions from your physician or other healthcare professional before using this treatment.
Cranial Osteopathy, DO, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, Manipulation d'Ostéopathie, Manipulative Therapy, Médecin Ostéopathe, Médecine Physique, Osteopathic Manipulation, Osteopathic Physician, Osteopathie, Ostéopathie, Ostéopathie Crânienne, Osteopatía, Osteopathy, Physical Medicine, Thérapie Manuelle.
Natural Medicines disclaims any responsibility related to medical consequences of using any medical product. Effort is made to ensure that the information contained in this monograph is accurate at the time it was published. Consumers and medical professionals who consult this monograph are cautioned that any medical or product related decision is the sole responsibility of the consumer and/or the health care professional. A legal License Agreement sets limitations on downloading, storing, or printing content from this Database. Except for any possible exceptions written into your License Agreement, no reproduction of this monograph or any content from this Database is permitted without written permission from the publisher. Unlawful to download, store, or distribute content from this site.
For the latest comprehensive data on this and every other natural medicine, health professionals should consult the Professional Version of the Natural Medicines. It is fully referenced and updated daily.
© Copyright 1995-2021. Therapeutic Research Faculty, publishers of Natural Medicines, Prescriber's Letter, and Pharmacist's Letter. All rights reserved.